Tuesday, March 31, 2009

March 31 Update

A few things – yes we had class Monday. I was late, and intentionally so. It was my plan to come in and find you guys all sitting there waiting for me. My plan was to then say “come on guys” this is your studio, you shouldn’t be waiting for me to get to work. I suppose it was a test, and congratulations you failed miserably. This project should be about ideas of excess scale, and you did a great job there.

So I have gone through the posts, and made comments also below are some general comments as well. I am in Chicago right now for familiy reasons, and it doesn’t look like I will be back in time on Thursday.

So I have gone through what has been posted.

Flickr there should be more images on there. Is anyone having a problem using flickr?

As far as the blog goes, I would like to separate/organize the blog into multiple blogs to better organize. If someone want to take the lead on that let me know. But I would like some narratives constructed here, again using text/image/video

The youtube playlists should have a narrative attached as well. Feel free to add/subtract/reorganize the playlists I set up.

Building research – no one has volunteered for, at the least I want an attempt to understand the module (brick/panel) used. This is done by a visual inspection of the building looking for “the seams.”

I also want a calculation of volume. (which will be compared to your other museum volume calculations). We need to have an understanding of scale – is it bigger than other museums? Is it smaller? If so how much.

There is more. I will write tomorrow. But to summarize. The main focus is an understanding of scale.

The attempt/desire is to get you all to understand this idea of “what is too much” and the only way to gain that understanding is from doing “too much.” We are not working for beauty here – we are working for understanding.

the more I talk about it, the more I think the understaning of relationships is important. How different things relate to each other. Objects in space, ideas people. These all have releationships. Right now the neighborhood is white noise to us. It is through this research that we are able to pick out the MEANING within this white noise.

I am stressing the narrative, because it is used to showcase/exhibit the relationships.

Rather than asking me what you think you should do within the context of these projects, make proposals. Don’t wait for my approval.

No comments:

Post a Comment