Friday, April 24, 2009

T munis 13 DAYS

To begin with – I am having trouble finding an off campus SPACE for the presentations. The location I was initially looking at did not work out. I found an alternate location – but is available May 8 (Friday). So that is an option, but only if EVERYONE is down with the change.

Additionally, if there is the desire within the group that something fun occurs afterward, I’ll need help/volunteers. I cannot do everything myself.

Also, I want to have a flyer/invitation for the EVENT - any volunteers (if more than 1 want to work on this, good)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So from what I saw last night – most of you are behind, and some of you should be worried.

If it wasn’t clear, the intention of “sketching/diagramming” as a technique is to generate A LOT of ideas/options. Then pick 1/a few options to develop. While I may have said I don’t care if you end up with a building – you should care. You are in architecture school and to not end up with a building filled with spatially complex/interesting spaces is a lost opportunity.

I am not sure if that was clear – so I am clarifying it now. It’s the desire that you move to REAL architectural drawings.

By now you all should have an idea of all you programmatic spaces pretty much worked out – circulation worked out, have ideas – be working on façade.

Here is a list of important drawings you need if you wish to clearly explain your project.

SITE PLAN – explaining context in which the museum sits, and how people access/interact. This drawing establishes the RELATIONSHIP to the neighborhood. I would LOVE IT if someone would produce a FIGURE/GROUND drawing of the neighborhood – and when I say neighborhood; I mean ALL of red hook. (Is there anyone who doesn’t understand what I am asking for?)

CIRCULATION/PROGRAM – it is important that you have drawings that show how the building FUNCTIONS/OPERATES. How do people move through the building – what is happening where – etc.

SECTIONS – this is another drawing that shows how the building FUNCTIONS/OPERATES.

PERSPECTIVES – drawings that attempt to express the EXPERIENCE of the space.


Honestly, plans are not that interesting to look at. But you can’t just show “pictures” of your building you have to explain how it works through image. What is the INTENT of EVERY IMAGE. What is the INTENT of every little thing, in fact?

+++++++++++++++++++++

Do not do a “power point presentation” is my suggestion. You may use power point if you would like, but do not make a “power point presentation” - do you understand the difference?

+++++++++++++++++

Side note about orthographic drawings – I am sure you all have realized that at the scale you are drawing, it is difficult to figure things out – everything is too small, leaving no room for detail. This is a problem which you must figure out how to overcome. There are some very simple answers/ways, but you have to figure them out for yourself.

+++++++++++++++++

In class I discussed the strategies of “additive” vs. “subtractive” in the context of the existing building, remember?

Does your design process begin with an empty shell and add things, or do you begin with all the floors intact and remove them as you design.

Additive vs. subtractive.

In regards to the PRESENTATIONS it’s the aspiration that these blog post will be numerous enough that preparing for the presentation is a SUBTRACTIVE process – meaning you have too much stuff, and you need to distill it down. That’s the hope.

And if you haven’t watched any pecha kucha on-line yet, shame on you.

++++++++++

FOR MONDAY – bring EVERYTHING you have – not just stuff you want to show me. we are going to try something NEW Monday. I will not have a projector – we might be able to use the one upstairs. But I want you to be prepared to SHOW ME DRAWINGS as explanation – and not explanation with words.

If you are feeling COMPLETELY LOST – just do the drawings I have listed – don’t think, just DO.

No comments:

Post a Comment